Announcing the Hitachi RBS Provider
by Michael Hay on May 18, 2011
I implied in my previous post that Hitachi was soon to release our own RBS provider. Today I’m pleased to announce that our first version of RBS is available with a healthy roadmap and many rock solid capabilities in the initial release.
Among them is comprehensive support for block storage, file storage, and object storage platforms for MS-SQL Server 2008 R2 and beyond. Our RBS provider can be downloaded from the HDS Portal (see below) and is available to HDS customers at no cost. Here is the set of supported features in the initial release.
As someone who helped the team that instigated the RBS efforts, I’m proud to see it released and with such comprehensive support. More generally, RBS joins a stable of growing data ingestion technologies designed to unleash the potential power of data and information from applications:
- Hitachi Data Discovery for Microsoft Sharepoint (Protocol: REST, CIFS)
- Hitachi RBS Provider (Protocol: many)
- Hitachi Content Platform ingestion for MS Exchange (Protocol: SMTP)
- Hitachi Content Platform ingestion for SAP (Protocol: WebDAV)
- Hitachi Data Ingestor for HCP (Protocol: REST)
- Hitachi NAS for HCP (Protocol: REST)
Hitachi’s intention is to help our customers squeeze the data and information out of applications with lightweight plug-ins and protocol enhancements that reduce the cost to archive. We want to inspire our customers, partners and the market to see that the needed first step towards the Big Data revolution is to free your data. So with that in mind, RBS represents another step in a freer Big Dataverse!
To download RBS and other adapters, visit the Hitachi Data Systems web site at https://portal.hds.com:
- Log in or register if you are a first time visitor to the Support Portal.
- Click on the link for Software Download & Entitlement System.
- Search for the adapter using the Find Software and System Downloads search tool.
In the results list, you can click on the name of the adapter to download the software package.
Comments (3 )
Sorry, i cannot find this program on your slowly portal Site.
Can you describe what you are seeing on the results list as mentioned in the post?
Once you login to the Portal, click on the Software Download & Entitlement System link. Click on the Downloads link under Support Tools and then enter “RBS” as the keyword under Find Software and System Downloads. The search will return one result and populate the Downloads section with the RBS Provider for Hitachi Storage link. Click it to download the zip file.
If you have any questions, just let us know.